May 26, 2011

jaw surgery

i'll share a quick sample of what all went down. so two and a half weeks ago i had jaw and chin surgery, to fix my overbite and hope that it would also fix all the tension/headaches/earaches that i've lived with for as long as i could remember. i had the surgery early in the morning, upon arrival they dressed me in cute hospital clothes and stuck the iv in me. that's about all i can remember... oh wait the special gown they gave me could be hooked up to this hose thing that was a heater and so it was warm the whole gown, best invention ever (coming from the person who is always cold). anyways so next thing i know is its about three hours later and i realize i am in the recovery room. it took me awhile to really wake up, but when i was pretty awake they moved me to my own room. they let me sleep for another hour, then they finally let my parents and Reni come up and see me. the whole first day i was really out of it and pushed my morphine button every seven minutes (that was as much as they would allow it). the second day in the hospital was the worst cause i was more awake and started to realize what i had gotten myself into. so much pain and my face was HUGE. i didn't even look in the mirror for three days, but i could feel how big it was and then i got to see the shocked faces of everyone who came to visit me haha. anyways after learning how to eat (drink), manage the pain, have another quick little procedure to fix some bands that had broken, they let me leave the hospital two and a half days later. those first two weeks at home were very rough. i'm so lucky to have a great mom who took such good care of me and for all the visitors, flowers, and cards. but finally, two and a half weeks later i look and feel a little more like myself again. the swelling's almost down and three times a day i can eat mashed potato consistency food, which you have no idea how amazing that is. this week i have been able to see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's just been such a long process but the doc said by november hopefully i'll be all done and recovered braces and everything so i am very anxious for that. the lower half of my face is still completely numb so that's still hard to get used to, but there's a good chance that will last for a year... so lucky me. i guess i'm just glad the worst is over, it's behind me and now i can start looking forward to more exciting things like summer and Fiji!!! 

There's no way i'm posting my pictures, so i looked on google and this kinda shows what they did. so now i permanently have 18 screws in my jaw/chin. hopefully i don't beep at the airport.
this is almost identical to how i looked during surgery i'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment